Welcome! Whether you are a new member (if you are welcome to the FAMILY!), or just someone looking for more information, this page contains answers to many of the questions you may have.
For any further questions, feel free to stop in or CONTACT US.
What is CrossFit?
- CrossFit is a fitness program that uses constantly varied, functional movements performed at high intensity (relative to the individual) to achieve a greater level of [evidence based] fitness and health. It blends elements of weightlifting, gymnastics, cardio, and more to provide safe and effective training capable of accomplishing a wide range of goals including weight loss, increased performance, and improved overall health.
Can anyone do CrossFit?
- Yes! EVERYONE is an athlete. Our program is by design broad, general, and inclusive, making it the perfect application for ANY committed individual REGARDLESS of experience, age, physical limitations, etc. If it works for olympic skiers, cage fighters, and overweight, sedentary homemakers, then it will work for you. The needs of elite athletes and our grandparents differ by degree, not kind.
*NOTE: It is always a good idea to consult with a medical professional before starting a new fitness regime.
Even if I am injured?
- The beauty of CrossFit is that it can be scaled and modified to fit anyone’s needs. We have successfully worked around many pre-existing injuries with our clients.
But I am really out of shape and concerned I can't do anything.
- That is OK. First, the intensity is relative to the individual. Second, as a beginner your goal isn’t to set world records, but to set a good routine of coming to the gym and working out. While you are doing this, you will be learning as much as you can and developing proper form and technique for each movement. Once you have a feel for the movements and build a baseline capacity to do more work, THEN your focus will be to increase intensity. For those individuals who are new to CrossFit and require it, we offer 3 ONRAMP sessions to teach you the basics and assess your fitness level.
OK, I'd like to give it a try. What do I do?
- Great! Fill out a CONTACT US form and we’ll handle it from there. look forward to seeing you at ESCF!
How often should I attend?
- THAT DEPENDS ON A NUMBER OF FACTORS INCLUDING YOUR FITNESS LEVEL STARTING THE PROGRAM AND LIFESTYLE OUTSIDE THE GYM. FOR BEGINNERS, 2-3 TIMES A WEEK WILL SUFFICE. FOR intermediate CrossFitters (or those with a strong BACKGROUND IN OTHER FITNESS AREAS), 3-4 TIMES A WEEK MAY BE THE SWEET SPOT. AND FOR THE ADVANCED ATHLETES, 5 TIMES PER WEEK WILL DO THE TRICK. WE RECOMMEND NO MORE THAN 5 DAYS A WEEK WITH A MANDATORY 1-2 DAYS OF REST PER WEEK. REST IS A CRITICAL COMPONENT OF HEALTH AND ALLOWS FOR SAFER, MORE EFFECTIVE TRAINING.
- THE BOTTOM LINE IS YOU NEED TO LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. SORENESS FOR BEGINNERS IS NORMAL. MOVEMENT IS A GOOD WAY TO RID THE BODY OF THAT SORENESS. IF YOU FEEL GOOD, COME IN. IF YOU’RE SORE, ONE OF OUR COACHES CAN ALWAYS MODIFY A WORKOUT TO KEEP YOU MOVING IN A SAFER CAPACITY. BUT, IF YOU’RE TIRED AND WORN DOWN, DO YOUR BODY A FAVOR AND SKIP A DAY… OR TWO. AGAIN, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!!!
Do I still need to go to another gym?
- Unless you are training for a sport specific purpose, then you will not need to do outside training. CrossFit will suffice for most members. However, we do encourage all to spend time outside the gym learning new sports and doing active things you enjoy. After all, that is part of why we CrossFit.
Do I need any of my own equipment?
- WE DO NOT REQUIRE YOU TO HAVE ANY OF YOUR OWN EQUIPMENT, HOWEVER WE DO SUGGEST THAT YOU BRING A FEW ITEMS TO AID IN A BETTER EXPERIENCE. THESE INCLUDE:
- COMFORTABLE CLOTHES THAT DO NOT RESTRICT MOVEMENT.
- YOUR OWN JUMP ROPE (ROGUE FITNESS OR RX SMART GEAR)
- FLAT SHOES FOR LIFTING (NIKE METCONS, REEBOK NANOS, NO BULL, OLYMPIC LIFTERS ETC.)
- TOWEL TO WIPE YOURSELF DOWN
Do I need to worry about my diet, or does CrossFit cancel it out?
- Diet is a foundational aspect of overall health and fitness. Regardless of how hard or frequently you train, a poor diet can have a number of adverse health effects and negatively impact your fitness. Luckily, we provide nutritional consultations and advice for our members!
Should I be taking any supplements?
- A GOOD, BALANCED DIET USUALLY PROVIDES THE BODY WITH THE NECESSARY VITAMINS AND MINERALS. IF NOT WE RECOMMEND TAKING A MULTIVITAMIN. THE ONLY OTHER SUPPLEMENT WE RECOMMEND IS AN OMEGA-3 FISH OIL. CONSULT WITH YOUR DOCTOR REGARDING ANY DEFICIENCIES IN YOUR BODY.